Can An Elderly Person Get a Loan? Guide for Seniors
If an elderly person suddenly needs money, a loan for seniors is often the only way out of this situation. Indeed, these people belong to the most vulnerable social category. Yes, a pension is a permanent income. But, in most cases, its size makes it possible only to pay for utilities and buy groceries. Most seniors do not have savings.
The situation is aggravated by the fact that most financial institutions are hesitant about providing loans to pensioners. In banks, the age limit for borrowers is very limited; a guarantor and a life insurance policy are required for approval. Today we will tell you how to get a loan for a retired senior.
Can seniors get bank loans?
There is an opinion that banks that give loans to pensioners are at serious risk because loans are provided to individuals who cannot guarantee repayment due to their age, health status and low income.
This misconception is becoming the main reason for personal loan rejections. However, there are more specific risks associated with lending to people of retirement age, which banks do not want to take. Such risks include the following:
- The most basic risk in banking circles is the age of the borrower. A loan to pensioners over 60-70 is provided only in some banks. In order to receive such a loan, a senior will need to provide certain documents confirming his legal capacity and financial capabilities. This selectivity is due to the fact that the average life expectancy in the USA for men is only 70-75 years. That is, upon the onset of the specified age, the likelihood of a person’s premature death from a serious illness is rapidly increasing.
- According to banks, it is dangerous to issue loans to those pensioners who do not have relatives, friends and their own housing. Accordingly, they cannot provide the bank with collateral or guarantors.
- Another significant reason for declining a pensioner’s request is that such a person cannot repay a large loan due to a small pension. In this regard, it will be possible for a pensioner to take out a small-dollar loan or the request will be rejected. Particular preference in such a situation is given to a working pensioner who can provide the bank with documents confirming the borrower’s additional income.
Despite all the existing risks, some financial institutions in the U.S. are ready to issue loans to elderly people. Moreover, every year, the number of loans issued to seniors is increasing.
Payday loans for seniors – an easy way out
Receiving a pension does not play a role in obtaining a payday loan. Also, in most cases, microfinance institutions turn a blind eye to bad credit history. Such companies are ready to help senior people get out of the crisis and pay off their existing debts. Therefore, you can apply for a payday loan if you have been rejected by banks and other financial institutions or if you suspect that you will be declined for a bank loan.
To get online payday loans, pensioners do not need to come to the lender’s office or bring documents about income, finances, etc. All processes usually take place online and are available to anyone who has a device with Internet access.
Microfinance institutions value their customers and try to make the service convenient and comfortable to use.
How to choose the best loan for pensioners over 60s, 65s & 70s
An elderly borrower should be especially careful when choosing a company to borrow funds. It may be worthwhile to involve relatives or friends who have previously used the services of microfinance institutions. In this way, you can avoid large overpayments, problems with debt repayment and related worries.
It’s important to ensure that the lender has a license to issue payday loans in your state of residence. If you apply online, check if the website of the lender protects your personal data. When you go to a website that has a green padlock icon next to the site name, it means the website is secured with a digital certificate.
Each state has its own regulations related to the payday lending business. Lenders operating in Nebraska charge the most reasonable interest rates on payday loans and also offer transparent terms and fast funding. If you are lucky to reside in Omaha, Nebraska, you can apply for loans in Omaha online and get matched with the right lender who is ready to issue a loan for a retired senior. The portal has an extensive network of credible lenders that provide short-term financial support in your area. Here you can also read customer reviews and get all the necessary information about payday loan providers in your area.
Payday loans for elderly people: application process
Large companies in the microfinance market are trying to attract new clients, regardless of age and social status. The official websites of such lenders are convenient, intuitive and easy to access. To fill out an online application, a pensioner does not need to have special PC skills.
First of all, check if you meet the lender requirements for age and other conditions. After choosing a company, go to their official website or use an online loan matching service that selects the best lender for your individual needs.
Just follow these simple instructions:
- Fill out an application form. Make sure you’ve made no errors or typos. If you make a mistake with at least one number or letter, the system will automatically perceive the information as unreliable, and you will be denied a loan;
- Submit your request and wait for the lender’s decision;
- If approved, e-sign an agreement and get the funds. They are usually transferred to the borrower’s bank account within 24 hours or faster.
The application may require filling in the marital status, the number of dependents, sources of income (deposit, part-time job, pension), 2-3 contact numbers of relatives or close acquaintances, as well as a convenient way to receive money.
Pros and cons of payday loans for retired seniors
People of retirement age often need small amounts for day-to-day expenses (such as medicines). It is impossible to get a small bank loan quickly. moreover, banks prefer to issue long-term loans that are secured.
Other benefits of payday loans:
- no insurance required;
- no need to go anywhere;
- short loan terms with no early repayment restrictions;
- money for whatever purpose;
- application 24/7;
- no hidden fees.
Before applying for a personal loan or a payday loan when retired, we recommend that you explore other ways to get financial help for seniors in the U.S. Perhaps, you are eligible for some programs and benefits.